We’re heading into one of the biggest times of the year for overdoing it with sugar…
And one of the biggest sources of added sugars is what we DRINK.
Current guidelines call for getting less than 10% of your daily calories from added sugars — if you eat 2,000 calories a day, that’s 200 calories (or about 12 teaspoons, or 42 grams).
To give you an idea: 10 oz. soda has 10 teaspoons of sugar! 🤯
Did you know that drinking sugar-sweetened beverages is associated with:
- Weight gain
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Non-alcoholic liver disease
- Tooth decay and cavities
- And more
On the flip side, if you limit (or better yet, stay away from!) sugary drinks, it can help you maintain a healthy weight AND eat a healthier diet in general.
With all that in mind, I have 4 beverage swaps for you today that are perfect for the coming holiday season.
- Festive infused water: Substitute sugary drinks or alcoholic beverages with water that’s been infused with cinnamon and apple, pomegranate and mint, or cranberry and orange. To make: Wash the fruit, slice it, and add it and any other flavorings to your water. Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour before drinking.
- Non-dairy eggnog: Nogs made with non-dairy milk tend to be lower in added sugars and unhealthy fats while still being creamy and delicious. Just make sure you read the label to get the lowest amount of added sugar.
- Ginger or mint herbal teas: Not only are these teas comforting and tasty, but they can also help soothe your stomach.
- Cocoa: DIY your hot chocolate with antioxidant-rich dark chocolate, unsweetened nut milk … and if you must lol – sweeten it with a touch of honey or maple syrup. 😊
Over time, simple acts like swapping out some of your old go-to’s with healthier options can add up to big results!
If you’re ready to kickstart your healthy holiday routine so you can start feeling less bloated and uncomfortable in your clothes this holiday without going on a “diet and missing out on all the fun” … book a call with me below to see how I can help you feel great & enjoy this holiday season.
Committed to your success,